January 19, 2014

With the chilled out turn of events it started to become difficult to find anyone to go out with. Luckily Australian Tom started off as a massive keen bean and had made friends with some exchange students studying at the university. Tom and I went on a very drunken Wednesday night with our new found uni friends, starting in a jazz bar and finishing in a gay bar (which oh my gosh I forgot to tell you about!). The week previously we had started at the reggae party at Labadi, realised that there was no live music that week, and a few of us moved on to Osu with our Ghanaian friend Nana Kumi. Wondering where was good on a Wednesday night the only place he knew of was epos, an underground gay bar (homosexuality being illegal in Ghana). This discovery led to a fairly heated discussion on sexuality with Ghanaians having very conservative views but when we arrived Nana Kumi was getting down and dirty like nobodies business. Gay bars are always fun because you can dance without the creepers, and all I ever really want to do is dance. It was such a fun night. Second time round wasn’t quite as busy but a great night making new friends. When we got home Tom had the great idea of waking people up singing disney songs. They loved it. Obviously. I did come to regret this the next day when I was awoken from my afternoon nap, although so did they when my resultant blood curdling screaming scared them as much as it did me (it turned out I was having a night terror and I have honestly never felt so scared, I can’t even actually remember them singing). Henceforth Hakuna Matata wake ups became something of a tradition and that song will always remind me of Ghana now.

 

epos Accra

That first night in epos

 

That weekend we went to Ada Foah, my absolute favourite place in Ghana. You get a boat along the river to the sandy peninsula with the river on one side and the ocean on the other. It is absolutely stunning. We stayed at Maranatha resort and arrived in time for the bonfire lighting and beach party. So much fun dancing to some Ghanain tunes in the light of the fire before running straight into the water as the night chilled down. I had one of the proudest moments of my life when someone told me I danced like a Ghanaian. Have you seen them? They are epic dancers even the kids walking down the street dance and it is awesome. The next day was an amazing sunny beach day spent reading, swimming, playing on the slack line and even trying my hand at meditating (although I’m fairly sure I was just stretching). The night involved an impromptu azonto dance class before retiring pretty early after the shenanigans of the previous night. On our way back to the mainland we took a boat trip to rum island and learnt about the making of sugar cane rum. Also finding out that sugar cane is a delicious snack and I can’t handle shots of home brewed spirits. My favourite part was just being on the boat/standing on the boat/driving the boat.

 

Marantha Ada Foah

Marantha boat trip

 

It was an absolutely perfect weekend. This place is my paradise. Unfortunately they are looking at redeveloping the land into a luxury resort and marina, forcing the locals off their land. But it is so perfect as it is and they give back to the community funding a school nearby. Please, please, please sign this petition so that others can enjoy it as much as I have http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/azizanya-kewunor-maranatha . It really is a dream.

 

Thank you! xxx

Categories:

0 comments: